First off, here’s a tour of my physical space where I do the bulk of my coding when I’m not travelling.
The second bit, a good many months ago I published my developer tools list, which is still available in my blog entry “My Current Windows Developer Machine“. That entry however is very outdated. I’ve since dropped the Windows OS as my primary developer platform operating system for a deluge of reasons. In it’s place is OS-X, Ubuntu, and VMs for Windows and other operating systems. Even though I’ve changed my OS of choice, and boy has life been much simpler ever since, I still do a ton of .NET & C# Development. My toolset however has been minimized for Windows. It now includes the following.
Virtualized Windows Development Machine
- Windows 7
- Visual Studio 2010 w/ SP1 + other downloads available at http://www.asp.net
- ReSharper ( I keep this updated, even if I buy it out of pocket because it saves THAT much time w/ .NET Dev )
Yup, my Windows machine is now THAT simplified. Dev on it is just as easy or easier before. With an SSD drive in my MacBook Air and the iMac I have w/ 16GB of RAM, it’s easy to have the VM perform BETTER than a natively installed version of Windows 7. I know it is hard to believe, but it is true. But I digress, I won’t try to sell you on that. Give it a try, research it, you’ll need to know for sure yourself to make that leap.
My main development OS these days however is OS-X, and here’s my stack of tools for it.
- Ruby on Rails (It comes w/ the default install, but in case hit the site to check out the latest bits)
- Gems so I can get any of those shiny bits I need.
- Node.js w/ Express.js generally.
- IntelliJ for Java Dev => Check out JetBrains
- Objective-C with XCode (easy, just grab it via the app store)
- Sublime 2
For office things, I sometimes use Microsoft Office, but generally Google Docs works just fine.
For video editing and creation, such as the video above I use ScreenFlow. Again, something you can easily get via the App Store.
I use MOU for editing README.md files on github, cuz it makes life simpler. :)
…and that about wraps it up. Enjoy. If you have any suggestions, thoughts, or rants, please let me know in the comments! Cheers!